Saturday, January 17, 2009

The White Tiger: Aravind Adiga

TheWhiteTigerCoverThis novel, published in the year 2008 won the Man Booker Prize in the same year. I bought the book out of instinct, although I haven't had a very pleasant experience with a couple of other books that have won the same prize. Many people said that the books that won this award were difficult to read and not well accessible. One of my friends gave me a very bad review of the book, but I had no choice but to read it since I had already bought it. I approached the book without any pre-concieved  expectations and I was pleasantly surprised. While I did not bother asking my friend why she did not like the book, there are several reasons why I would recommend the book to any reader.
First of all, the book is an effortless read, and the story flows at a good pace. The story is narrated in first person by Balram Halwai, who is the protagonist. It is his account of his rise from lowly origins in a village in rural India amidst crushing poverty where even the basic amenities of life are hard to come by; to his current position as a successful entrepreneur in a big city. But the story is not one of inspiration as one would imagine from such an account. Instead it is a story full of intrigue, corruption and crime, but narrated with an innocent and brutally honest tone that makes you chuckle throughout. The story takes a swipe at the corrupt political system of the country and how the people are forced to play along with it if they want to survive. What moves you while reading this story is how the honest and hardworking village boy is transformed into a shrewd, scheming man who does not hesitate to take the law into his own hands.
Adiga has done a masterful job in this darkly comic debut novel of his with a sharp observation and sardonic voice.

1 comment:

Vipul Patel said...

Hi KV,
I would agree that book has been written in simple English. I brought this book out of curiosity assuming it depicts story of some Indian entrepreneur but i am of different opinion. It hardly accentuates struggle of true businessman.