Saturday, January 03, 2009

Pillars of the earth

PillarsOfTheEarthCoverI started reading this book by Ken Follet over 5 months ago. When I just had a couple of dozen pages left to finish the book, I went away to the US and for some reason I did not carry the book with me. Now that I am back in India for a while, I finished the book today. It is a really big book with over a thousand pages. There are several plots in the story, and like most really long stories, you feel that some of those could have been avoided for the sake of a smaller and crisper story.

The plot of the story revolves around the building of a cathedral in medieval England during the period of civil war and how the lives of several people around the cathedral is embroiled in politics and powerplay. The book spans several years and hence the author has been able to sketch the characters in great detail (no surprise there).

Several  reviews on amazon tout this book as a breakthrough in the historical fiction genre, which I think is a bunch of nonsense (no wonder since the book was a part of Oprah's book club). I don't really have good things to say about Oprah's book club and I would probably have not picked up this book had I known earlier, but the book did turn out to be entertaining, with a lot of gratuitous sex and violence thrown in. Sometimes it drags simply because the plot is very twisted and long.

I did learn a bit about medieval architecture, cathedrals, clergymen, nobles and the like. All in all, I recommend this book for a one time read. Entertaining, but long.

No comments: