Thursday, November 15, 2007

Skype woes with IIS

I had installed JBoss on my machine to get Scrumworks Basic working. Somehow that stopped my IIS from working on port 80. So I uninstalled Scrumworks. For some unknown reason, the default website on IIS still wont start. There was this red icon beside default website in IIS. When I tried to start it, it kept giving me the error: Doesnt start -> Unexpected error 0x8ffe2740 occurred.

I restarted IIS a number of times, even uninstalled and reinstalled it, but of no avail. I figured that some other application was listening on port 80 which was causing a conflict. But I uninstalled JBoss, then what was causing the issue?

Couldnt figure out what application was listening on port 80.....did a google search and found that skype (of all things) could be a culprit....

http://www.google.co.in/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=cannot+start+default+website+%2B+unexpected+error&btnG=Search&meta=

I did not even bother to look inside the 2nd link (which mentioned the skype). I just exited the thing, and my default website started! Then I read a little further and made a small little change in the skype connection settings as shown.

No comments: